Ioannina is the capital of the Epirus province (mainland Greece, west from Corfu). It is a city that often overlooked by foreign tourists, as they tend to head straight to the smaller mountain villages of Epirus. However, the city is popular with Greeks and definitely worth a (short) visit. So here a 7 reasons to visit Ioannina on your trip to Greece:
1. Ioannina is situated next to the huge Pamvotis lake. You can take a boat trip of the lake and visit the ‘Island with no name’ (10 min trip from Ioanninas old city center).
2. Sunsets in Ioannina are lush (pictured below). The sun sets beautifully in the lake so from both the little island as from Ioannina city center it is a beautiful experience.
3. Epirus is full of trees. So in autumn Ioannina explodes into 100 shades of brown/yellow/green.
4. Don’t let yourself be fooled by the industrialized outskirts of Ioannina. It has a beautiful old city center, with many cute places to eat and drink, and with the ‘Castle of Ioannina’. From there you have an amazing view of the lake.
5. Inside the castle you will also find a the Fethiye Mosque! The mosque is on this picture. Cause in the 15th century, Ioannina was conquered by the Ottomans. In general Ioannina is full of Turkish influences. In the old town you can find the most delicious baklava. Yum! But also: shisha and other Turkish things.
6. More about food: in Ioannina portions are big (we like) and food is cheap (we like as well).
7. With Ioannina as a base it is very easy to discover Epirus as you are on the highway in no time! It’s also gateway by bus (KTEL) to Corfu, Patras, Thessaloniki, etc. Will post more about Epirus throughout this autumn, with Zagori, Villa, Papigko and Acherontas coming up! Btw: Ioannina does have an international airport. Not as busy as other airports but you might find direct flights to Ioannina 😉
There are countless great and modern hotels and Airbnb’s in Ioannina to stay in. I am sure it will surprise you. 3 suggestions for you:
Do you need advice while planning your trip to Greece? Check out my optins for custom travel advice.
Did you like it? Then pin it! ↓